The Young Artists Awards were established to enhance professional training for career-oriented singers. Recipients receive an annual stipend of $2,500 payable over ten months and are provided with experiences to strengthen their development as soloists and professional choral singers.
Auditions for the 2021-2022 season are closed. Please check back here in the spring of 2022 for updates about our summer 2022 audition dates.
Award Benefits and Details
The Young Artists gain experience covering solos in major works and attending dress rehearsals with visiting guest artists, giving them the opportunity to observe and interact with professional soloists. Young Artists also present an annual recital and perform at other Bach Society events including education concerts and fundraisers.
The Young Artists are also responsible for providing musical leadership in the Bach Society Chorus through thorough preparation of their parts. Young Artists rehearse as members of the Bach Society Chorus from late August through May on Monday evenings, 7:00pm to 9:00pm. Singers must be available to attend all rehearsals in order to be eligible for an audition.
Eligible Young Artists:
– have completed a minimum of three years of undergraduate study in music
– are pursuing a professional vocal career
– are currently in private vocal study
– who are not US citizens will need to present proof of employment authorization in the United States
– are thirty-two years old or younger
– are available to attend all Monday evening rehearsals from late August through mid-May
Auditions last approximately 20 minutes and include sight reading, tonal memory and vocalization.
Auditioning singers will be asked to present three vocal selections that demonstrate their range, timbre, flexibility, diction, expressiveness and stage presence from the following:
1. A Baroque aria from a cantata, oratorio or mass in any language (this does not need to be memorized)
2. An opera aria in a foreign language (this should be performed from memory)
3. An operetta/musical theatre song in English, suitable for informal entertainment (this should be performed from memory)
An accompanist will be provided. Please bring music for the accompanist marked with changes in tempo, dynamics, ritards, etc.
Should you be granted an audition, we will require one letter of recommendation from a voice teacher or choral director giving a professional evaluation of your musicianship, leadership abilities, dependability and vocal potential.
Meet our 2021-2022 Season Young Artists:
Recent Young Artist Award Recipients:
2020-21 Danielle Feinstein, Freddie Rice, Olivia Roland, Micheal Lowe
2019-20 Danielle Feinstein, Freddie Rice, Olivia Roland, Micheal Lowe
2018-19 Danielle Feinstein, Freddie Rice, Chris Stanfill
2017-18 Madalyn Mentor, Emerald Barbour, Kurtis Heinrich, Chris Stanfill
2016-17 Madalyn Mentor, Katherine Menke, Kurtis Heinrich, Tyler Green
2015-16 Madalyn Mentor, Katherine Menke, James Stevens, Ravi Raghuram
For a complete list of award recipients, click here.